Tuesday, December 23, 2008
Hardwood Floors
I have mentioned before that my in-laws are putting an addition on their house. Well, they are also redoing their living room with the same paint and carpet as the addition.
The problem is, under the carpet they had in their living room are beautiful, old, and valuable hardwood floors. Scott and I are just sick over the fact that they are going to cover them up once again. It is so sad. For some reason back in the 50's and 60's they put hardwood floors in everything and then people have covered it with carpet and or linoleum. Did they not understand the value of hardwood back then? Scott and I watch a lot of remodel shows, one of which is flip that house. Every time they find hardwood floors underneath, they refinish them, and it saves them tons of money and they get a nice floor for the house. Scott tried his hardest on Sunday to convince his parents to refinish the hardwood floors and forget about carpeting them. Just carpet the addition. I agree with him, but i know the fight is over, so I didn't say as much. There is a section of the hardwood that is where a wall
once was, and doesn't even have a stain on it. So, Scott and I suggested sanding down the entire thing, re-staining, and then refinishing. It would be so pretty!Not going to happen. The more depressing part is, there is hardwood in the kitchen as well, which is covered by linoleum, then covered by laminate. Fake wood on top of linoleum on top of real wood. So sad. Scott and I mourn for the wood. It wants to be seen. It doesn't want to be covered up. The wood is yearning to be refinished and to shine like it once did~
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)





1 comment:
I agree. That is the saddest thing. Many would kill, and pay a ton, to have floors like that! I have a hard time convincing my parents of home decorating dos and don'ts. Luckily I win most of the time, but there are those few times I would like to scream.
Post a Comment