Friday, February 6, 2009

Why I don't like Valentine's Day

All my life I thought I didn't like Valentine's day because I usually didn't have a Valentine right? Wrong. Now I have a permanent Valentine, and I still dislike it. Here are a few reasons why:
  • It makes every single person in the world extremely aware that they are single.
  • It is just another excuse for retailers to insist you buy CRAP for your sweetheart.
  • It becomes a competition between women on which guy is more romantic and jealousy ensues.
  • It forces men to be romantic because you are supposed to be romantic on Valentine's day, not because they love their wife/girlfriend and want to romance her.
  • Prices for flowers go way up, on the wholesale end and retail end, why? Because that is how you make money. Supply and demand, baby.
  • The whole holiday is based around women. What in the heck am I supposed to get my husband? All the romantic gifts they advertise are not going to get an amazing response from the average male.
  • If you don't have money during this holiday, it makes you feel bad because you should be spending money and doing something special.

Altogether it is just a lame holiday for retailers to make money and it really shouldn't have to exist. Can't couples just buy each other gifts and do romantic things from time to time because they are in love? Why does there have to be a holiday for this?

(Disclaimer: Scott has already purchased a gift for me for Valentine's Day. I have no idea what it is, but I am sure there will be a post about it. Just because I post later does not mean I endorse this ridiculous holiday. I still have to decide what to get for him...)

2 comments:

Cali said...

I enjoy just spending time and doing something fun together. Neither of us are big gift-people.

Ang said...

I heart you! Amen. Amen. Amen.